Thursday, April 12, 2007

Mueller Replaces Enge At Petersen White Lightening

With Tomas Enge now starting his recovery from injuries sustained at St. Petersburg, Petersen White Lightning has announced that Dirk Muller will replace the Czech driver for the next two round of the American Le Mans Series.

Muller, who won the GT2 class back in 2000, will co-drive the #31 Ferrari F430 GT at the Grand Prix of Long Beach and the Grand Prix of Houston alongside Tim Bergmeister with the team working hard during this week to prepare a brand new car for the Long Beach event – with the car only due to have arrived from Italy on Sunday and the team needing to leave for California tomorrow [Wednesday] morning.

Although he admits that the situation that leads to him returning to the ALMS is far from ideal, Muller said he was looking to forward to his two events in the PWL team, with the former WTCC racer hoping to replicate the form enjoyed in the opening round of the FIA GT Championship which he won in the similar Ferrari of the AF Corse team.

“The situation is not the nicest but I'm really looking forward to helping out Petersen/White Lightning for sure,” he said. “It is a strange situation to replace an injured driver. But that is part of our job and I cross my fingers for Tomas to get well very soon and very quick. I just want to make him happy winning with this car. I am really, really happy and looking forward to Long Beach.

“For me, that will be the first time on that street circuit. I do know the Ferrari F430 having set the first pole and having won the first round of FIA GT. I am feeling very well in this car. I like to thank Ferrari and the team giving me the opportunity to do this. I know Petersen/White Lightning from the past so I know that the team is very professional. I am very happy and very proud. The last time I raced in the ALMS was 2001 and I won the 2000 GT championship so I am very excited to be returning with such a good team and good car.”

Team manager Dale White said he was pleased to have Muller onboard for the two races, although he admitted that ‘no-one' would be able to replace his injured driver.

“They say if you are given lemons make lemonade,” he said. “I believe Dirk is just the guy to help us make lemonade. Obviously, having Tomas injured was a serious blow to the program and to morale but to have a driver the calibre of Dirk Müller waiting in the wings is something that we could have never even hoped for. Dirk is as fast today as when we raced against him in the early years of the program. He is also smart, even smarter now; he has Ferrari experience and knows how to win races.

“No one can replace Tomas, not even in the short-term, but we feel confident that we can add a few victories and get back into the championship chase with the combination we will field for the next two events. We are anxious to get Tomas well and back in the #31 and, following Houston, Tomas and the doctors will let us know where he is at and we'll chart our course from there. In the meantime, I couldn't have dreamed of a better driver than Dirk to add to our team.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will Mueller be racing in Houston?

I can't find out any information.