Friday, January 4, 2008

The Resolute Drivers of SPEED World Challenge

TOPEKA, KANSAS (January 4, 2008) A new year has arrived and so has a new season of SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge. For some, new teams and cars bring fresh opportunities, for others, the return to a regular ride means a chance to capitalize on lessons learned in 2007. It seemed only appropriate to poll some World Challenge personalities on their 2008 New Year’s resolutions.

After a 2007 full of remarkable highs and lows, Eric Curran had several resolutions for the 2008 racing season.

“My New Year’s resolution is to win a championship in World Challenge GT in 2008,” Curran said. “Not to have a season full of burning my eyebrows at Sebring, burning a plug wire at Watkins, burning a motor up at Miller, smashing the car at Charlotte, stop and go at Toronto, and destroying the car at Atlanta.

Competing in both the GT and Touring Car classes last year, James Sofronas had twice as many opportunities as Curran for lady luck to turn the other cheek, but he remains a big supporter of the series.

“My wish for 2008 is that World Challenge continues to grow and become the best racing series in North America for years to come,” Sofronas said. “I also wish for better luck in 2008 as I was knocked out of quite a few races in 2007.”

Sofronas’ plan for improved success in 2008 is the oldest resolution in the book.

“I am going to be more fit for this upcoming season!”

Andy Pilgrim may also be on the road to a healthier 2008 with resolutions to travel less and eat more sushi, but what about on track?

“Jump no more starts, which I'm too embarrassed to expand on.” Pilgrim said. “I might also say have more fun, but I already have more fun than anyone has a right to.”

Speaking of fun, it sounds like Nick Esayian might be resolving to have less fun in 2008.

“My New Years resolution is to get some new friends in the paddock.” Esayian said. “PD, Nathan, Pierre, Eric Curran, Kuno, Galati, and Deuce ‘Brandon’ Davis have been terrible influences on my on and off track behavior over the last few years. Hedonistic eating, swilling fine wine, uncontrolled gambling, people showing up at my home at all hours of the night, running over deer in Watkins Glen, and gallivanting around the country on PD’s private jet takes a toll on a wholesome family guy like myself. I just couldn’t take it anymore, so I have now distanced myself from that motley crew and joined forces with a more wholesome posse: Clay and Thomas over at BimmerWorld. For the most part they are clean cut guys, but every so often I am amazed and disturbed by their behavior as well. We will see how it goes in 2008, but I predict personal weight loss, better on track performance, and less interaction with the local law enforcement agencies. I have been a victim of circumstance long enough and it’s time for a change.”

World Challenge’s own lawman, GT Technical Director Aaron Coalwell makes the same resolutions ever year.

“We’ve been lucky in World Challenge, because we rarely have any serious injuries, even though motorsports is very dangerous for all involved,” Coalwell said. “Every year I resolve to make World Challenge as safe as any competitive racing series can be.

“We’re also lucky to have so many talented people in the series, but it can make it difficult for the technical staff to hold its own against the creativity of the teams, so I also resolve to not let our teams make me look like the village idiot. Some years I am more successful than others.”

Although he swears he never makes New Year’s resolutions, the events of 2007 led Charles Espenlaub to an important one for 2008, one he already seems tempted to break.

“Try and get more press for winning races instead of drinking a beer,” Espenlaub said. “Even if it was a really good beer, a really, really good beer.”

No comments: